Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Codependent much?

This week it has become abundantly clear to me that my own recovery is crucial.

My husband has been doing great. I am so proud of him. He got his 30 day sobriety chip from SA, and then that very afternoon faced one of the toughest hours of temptations he has had since being sober...but he made it through. And he even told me about it! Pretty impressive.

Better yet, he has been happy, cheerful, patient, and loving. There is a softness in his eyes and an openness to his smile that I have never seen before. He is less interested in watching tv, and instead would rather head up to bed early with me to read and cuddle, and get this, talk. Say, what??? I know, it's outrageous and I hardly know who this man is, but I sure like him.

So, I should be feeling pretty good about things, right? Sometimes I do. However, I myself am still broken. I am not all better now that my husband is recovering. I need to recover myself.

I wrote a few days ago about fear, and I'm still struggling with that. Now, not only do I have fear, but serious doubts that pop into my head. Everything my husband is doing is showing that he is doing well (actions speak louder than words!), but every night I'm convinced that today is the day that my husband slipped up and chose not to tell me and is beginning the cycle of lying again. And not only did he not tell me, but he's continuing to put on this face of everything is great. Look at me reading my SA book! Look at how emotionally open I am! Some deranged part of my brain has convinced me that not only is he lying to me again, but this time he has discovered the ultimate lie: not only can he continue to act out in his addiction, but he can actually pretend he is in recovery! Before, he just acted like things were "fine" and tried to avoid talking about it, but all his behaviors flashed the neon sign of "ADDICTION". But now! Now he has really figured this lying thing out! Now he can act like he's a changed man, when really he is not. Jackpot!

Obviously, as this bizarre idea bounced around in my brain throughout the evening last night, I got more and more irritable. I became snappy and impatient and snarky. Like I was going to be nice to that lying SOB! Yeah, right! 

When we went to bed last night the husband finally got it out of me. I had been refusing to talk to him (holy pot calling the kettle black...jeez...). I felt too ridiculous to tell him this crazy notion that was driving me out of my mind. But, once I spilled it, I felt so much better. He held me close and promised me that he was done lying, that he was so much happier this way, and that I have every right to feel the way I do. 8 years of being lied to can do weird things to a person. He reminded me to be patient with myself and that hopefully in time he can earn my trust.

I'm still amazed that this emotionally distant man that I've known for so long is actually a loving, listening partner. I still don't want to get too attached for fear it will go away. But, one thing I've learned in all this, is that if he does go away, I need to be able to stand on my own two feet. I need to get back to a healthy mental and emotional state, so that I'm not so dependent on his behaviors and I can keep the crazy at bay myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment