Saturday, November 2, 2013

First comes love, then comes...


We went on our first date about a month after meeting. I was smitten. It was a confusing time of my life with boys (long story), but it was as if the heavens parted and shone a light down on this cute new infatuation of mine. I dropped the other boys, and within a month I knew that he was The One.

We had so much in common. I felt I could be myself around him, more or less. We had similar goals and hopes and dreams. Every time we were together and talked it was almost like I could hear an audible click, like we were two pieces of a puzzle fitting together.

One night, he told me his secret. No, not that one. A different secret. He told me about a girlfriend he had before me that he got too close to. She got pregnant. They were going to get married, but she called it off and broke his heart. He wanted to raise the baby, but they decided to place him for adoption instead. He paid the price for his mistakes and did everything he could to make them right.

When he told me, I was flooded with emotion. Relief! Because, I too was "damaged goods". I hadn't gotten pregnant out of sheer luck, but my years with being too close with my high school boyfriend haunted me. This guy could understand me. He knew what I'd been through and more. We shared our secrets together and reveled in the fact that we wouldn't judge each other, but we really knew each other, you know?

After that night, I was convinced that if he could tell me such a difficult thing, he would tell me anything! My hero, Captain Honesty! I felt I'd won the jackpot.

If only I had seen the red flags being popping up as we skipped down the path to our expected marital bliss...



No comments:

Post a Comment